Skip to main content

Pesticide Permits

The following Permits are issued by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets:

  • Golf Course Permits. These permits are issued to golf courses to limit the locations, amounts and types of products used. The permits restrict usage based on site-specific conditions. For more information visit the Golf Course Information Page or contact the permit coordinator at 802-318-1383.

  • Right-of-Way Permits. These permits are issued for clearing or maintaining rights-of-ways to utilities, rail companies and others that operate in these areas. Submitted permit applications are available for public review and comment before issuance. Right-of-way permit application.
  • Mosquito Larvicide Permits.  These permits are for applications of mosquito larvicides to water. Currently, there are two mosquito control districts in Vermont. The BLSG Insect Control District comprises the towns of Brandon, Leicester, Salisbury, Goshen, and Pittsford and was formed in 1990. The Lemon Fair Insect Control District (LFICD) was formed in 2006 and consists of the towns of Bridport, Cornwall, and Weybridge. Larvicide permit application.
    • BLSG Insect Control District website
    • Lemon Fair Insect Control District website
  • Bird or other Animal Control Permits. These permits are for control of birds or other anmials that the Secretary has declared a pest. Permits are not required for bird or other animal repellents. Permits may be issued in limited areas or for area-wide applications depending on nature of the pests. All requests for application of pesticides for bird or animal control on open land shall be reviewed by the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department and Vermont Department of Health. Notification of all limited-area applications will be submitted to the those departments, if approved by the Secretary.
  • Aerial Permits. These permits are issued for the application of pesticides from an aircraft. All aerial applications must be made in conjunction with FAA rules and obtain appropiate permits from the Agency of Transportation (Aviation) or other entity. Please contact the office more additional information.
  • Experimental Use Permits (EUPs). EUPs are issued for applications of unregistered pesticide, or for use of a registered pesticide for an unregistered use. Applicants must complete and submit an EUP permit application. Permits may be issued for three (3) kinds of experimental uses:
    1. A state-issued permit as authorized under Section 5(f) of the FIFRA (as amended) to accumulate information or data necessary to register a pesticide use for special local needs.
    2. A state-issued permit to conduct laboratory or greenhouse tests or limited, replicated field trials to confirm such tests or other tests in which the purpose is to determine the value of the substance for pesticide purposes or to determine its toxicity or other properties to the extent permitted under EPA regulations.
    3. A state-issued authorization to conduct an experimental use in Vermont for all or some of the uses provided in the label under the experimental use permit issued by EPA pursuant to Section 5(a-e) of FIFRA as amended.

    A state EUP is subject to the terms and conditions of the state's certification and issued at the Agency's discretion. The permit shall not exceed one (1) year, but may be renewed or extended based on results. EUPs will identify data collection, adverse event reporting and other testing and reporting requirements. A report shall be submitted to the Commissioner at the conclusion of the treatment or at the expiration date of the permit.When a pesticide is applied to a food or feed crop under an experimental use permit where a tolerance has not been established for that particular crop and use pattern, then:

    1. the crop must be destroyed after harvest; or
    2. the crop may be used for further testing, provided that the crop may not be consumed by humans. If the crop is consumed by test animals, the animals or animal products may not be used for human or animal consumption.