Skip to main content

Animal Feeds, Seed, Fertilizer & Lime

Animal feed, including pet foods, commercial fertilizers, lime and seeds sold in the state of Vermont must be registered with the Agency and meet both statutory and rule requirements.  Feed, fertilizer, seed and lime products that are made, sold or otherwise distributed in Vermont may be inspected, sampled and tested by the State to ensure that products are labeled correctly, and are not harmful to human, animal or plant health. The Agency may take corrective actions including fines, stopping sales, and other actions for products and companies that are not in compliance. Annual registration and tonnage (if applicable) fees may be found on the applications below.  Product renewals are sent out annually.

For complaints or concerns about feed, seed or fertilizers please contact 802-828-5050 or email

For questions concerning registration of products please contact 802-828-2436 or email

The 2018 Fertilizer Distribution and Sample Summary Report is available in pdf format. It can be found here.

Information on the Pet Food Product Guarantee testing done by the State laboratory is found here.

Fertilizer Tonnage Report Form is found here.

New product applications

Link To Registration Portal

If you have previously registered products and have created a log in to our registration portal, you can access the portal here. 

Related rules and regulations

6 VSA Chapter 26 - Commercial Feeds Law

6 VSA Chapter 28 - Fertilizer & Lime Law

6 VSA Chapter 35 - Vermont Seed Laws