Fertilizer Program

Fertilizer Program

Fertilizer means any substance containing one or more recognized plant nutrients that is used for its plant nutrient content and that is designed for use or claimed to have value in promoting plant growth of health, except unprocessed animal or vegetable manures. The fertilizer program provides for the registration, inspection and analysis of all commercial fertilizer products sold in Vermont.


Fertilizer Samples

One of the label requirements for fertilizer is a guaranteed analysis of nutrients. You can have those tests done at our lab in Randolph. For more information contact them directly.


Fertilizer Sample Reports

The purpose of the inspection and analysis is to ensure that fertilizer users are receiving a product that meets the chemical guarantee specified by the labeling. The statutory authority for the program is found in 6 V.S.A. Chapter 28.

Penalties are assessed to manufacturers for products that are deficient in nitrogen, available phosphoric acid or phosphorous, and soluble potash or potassium content. The value of the penalty is based on the labeling guarantee percentage, the percent deficient and the total sample weight. If a product is consigned to a consumer then the penalty is paid to that person. If no person is identified, then the penalty is paid to the Agency. No penalties are assessed for trace mineral violations. Annual analysis summary reports are available through the Agency. 


Fertilizer Fees

Fertilizer manufacturers and dealers are required to register their commercial products with the Agency. The annual registration fee is $20 per nutrient guarantee, or a maximum of $140 per product. The registration fees directly fund the sampling and analysis program. Fertilizer tonnage fees are also required. The fees are $.50 per ton for Agricultural products sold in Vermont and $30 per ton for non-agricultural products sold in Vermont, or a minimum of $150.


Fertilizer Labels

Per Vermont Statute, all fertilizer products sold in the state of Vermont must be registered with proper labeling. Please review our Fertilizer Product Label Registration Guidelines  to make sure your label is compliant.


Fertilizer-Application & Forms

The Application for Registration of Commercial Fertilizers is used to register commercial fertilizer products. Please use this application for new products or product name, company name on the label, guarantee or ingredients. Please do not use this application to renew products.  In November of each year we generate a computerized renewal form that lists the products that you need to renew.

Fertilizer Product Registration Application

Fertilizer Tonnage Reporting Form


Soil Amendments, Plant Amendments and Plant Bio Stimulants

With the passage of S102, soil amendments, plant amendments and plant bio stimulants will need to be registered with the state of Vermont. The registration fee will be $85 per product. More information is coming soon. 


For general questions concerning fertilizer products consult Association of American Plant Food Control Officials.

If you would like to know if a fertilizer product is registered in Vermont, you can search our database of Vermont Registered Fertilizer Products .

For Vermont specific questions consult our Frequently Asked Questions or call 802-828-5050 or email lisa.fantelli@vermont.gov.


 Related rules and regulations

6 VSA Chapter 28 - Fertilizer & Lime Law 

Vermont Fertilizer & Lime Regulations

Phosphorus Fertilizer Information - Turf

Act No. 37 (H.26) is the law regulating phosphorus application to turf in Vermont, which took effect on January 1st, 2012. This act regulates the application and retail display of fertilizer intended for commercial or residential use.

 Vermont Turf Fertilizer Law

Note:  Law only pertains to fertilizer labeled for TURF.

Golf Courses

Golf Courses are exempt from this law but are required to have a golf course nutrient management plan as part of their golf course permit.

Links for More Information

The Lawn-to-Lake Group – Vermont and Up-state New York Phosphorus Fertilizer Information


Fertilizer Reports

2018-2019  Annual Report

2019-2020 Annual Report

Contact Information

Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets

116 State Street
Montpelier, Vt 05620-2901


Program Contacts

  • Media Inquiries                      802.622.4662
  • Licensing & Registration        802.828.2436
  • Business Development          802.828.1619
  • Feed, Seed, Fertilizer & Lime  802.828.5050
  • Working Lands                    802.622.4477
  • Public Health & Resource Management                802.828.2431
  • Laboratory                                  802.585.6073
  • Animal Health                        802.828.2421
  • Dairy                              802.828.2433
  • Consumer Protection / Weights & Measures                           802.828.2433
  • Produce Program                  802.461.5128
  • Meat Inspection                    802.828.2426
  • Water Quality                               802.828.2431
    • Grants                                  802.622.4098
    • Enforcement                                802.828.2431
    • Reports                                      802.272.0323
    • BMP's                                      802.828.3474
  • Act 250                          802.828.2431 
  • Pesticide                        802.828.2431