Skip to main content

Pet Food Program

Pet Food means any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by pets (any domesticated animal normally maintained in or near the household of the owner). Specialty pet food means any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by specialty pet (any domesticated animal pet normally maintained in a tank or cage). This program provides for the registration, inspection and analysis of all pet food products sold in Vermont.

Pet Food Labels

Per Vermont Statute, all pet foods and treats sold in the state of Vermont must be registered with proper labeling.  Please review our Feed Product Label Registration Guidelines to make sure your label is compliant. You can find samples of acceptable feed labels:

Dry Food 

Canned Food


If you manufacture supplements and have questions about whether your products is a dosage form animal health product or feed supplement, consult DFAH or Feed Supplement. 

Feed Samples

One of the label requirements is a guaranteed analysis for protein, fat, fiber and moisture. You can have those tests done at our lab in Randolph. For more information, contact them directly.

Pet Food Sample Reports

The purpose of inspection and analysis is to ensure the pet feed users are receiving a product that meets the nutritional guarantee specified by the labeling. Penalties may be assessed to manufacturers for products that are deficient. Violations are set at $50.00 for each deficiency found. The penalty can be increased for repeat violations. All penalties are paid to the Agency.

Pet Food Fees

Commercial pet food manufacturers and dealers are required to register their commercial products with the Agency. The annual registration fee is $105 per product. There is no tonnage fee associated with pet food.

 Pet Food - Applications & Forms

The Application for Registration of Commercial Feeding Stuffs is used to register pet food and commercial feed products. Please use this application for new products or products that you have changed the product name, company name on the label, guarantee or ingredients. Please do not use this application to renew products. In March of each year we generate a computerized renewal form that lists all the products that you need to renew.

Feed Application.pdf 

Feed Application Fillable

Dosage Form Animal Health Products

With the passage of S102 in 2021, dosage form animal health products must be registered with the state of Vermont. For more information visit the dosage form animal health product webpage.


 For general questions the consult Association of American Feed Control Officials Inc(link).

If you would like to know if a pet food is registered in Vermont you can search our database:

Database of Vermont Registered Feed Products

For Vermont specific questions consult our Frequently Asked Questions  or call 802-828-5050 or email

For questions concerning Registering Raw Pet Food Products, consult our FAQ Raw Foods For Pets

For information on starting a pet treat business, visit AAFCO's pet food business website.

To register your business with the USFDA, visit their website. 

FDA's list of recalled pet food.

Related rules and regulations

6 VSA Chapter 26 - Commercial Feeds Law

Vermont Feed Regulations

Vermont Pet Food Regulations


Annual Feed Reports site. 

2018-2019 Annual Report

2019-2020 Annual Report

2020-2021 Annual Report

2021-2022 Annual Report