Skip to main content

Feed FAQs

1) What is a commercial feed?

2) Do I need a license to see my feed products in Vermont?

3) I make treats for my dogs and want to sell them. Do I need to register my product?

4) My product is a treat, not a feed, do I still need to register it?

5) My product has one ingredient in it, do I still need to register it?

6) How do I register my product? Can I do so online?

7) If I only sell my product online, do I need to register it? 

8) What needs to be on a label?

9) Where do I send labels?

10) if my product is registered in another state, will you automatically accept the label?

11) Where do I get my product tested for guaranteed analysis?

12) Do I need to pay tonnage?

13) Do I have to register all flavors and sizes?

14) What is the registration fee?

15) Do I need to register my products every year?

16) I submitted my product and label but haven't heard anything, what should I do?

17) I no longer want to sell my product(s). Do I need to do anything?

18) I never received a renewal form, what should I do?

19)I have revised my labels. Do I need to do anything?

20) Can I register a raw product?

21) Can I register a raw dairy product?

22) Can hemp be used as a feed?

23) Can I put CBD oil in treats?

1) Per 6 V.S.A. § 323, “ Commercial feed means all materials except whole seeds unmixed or physically altered entire unmixed seeds, when not adulterated within the meaning of subsection 327(a) of this title, which are distributed for use as feed or for mixing in feed”.

2) A "license" is not required to sell/distribute feed products in Vermont. However, you are required to register each of the products you wish to sell/distribute in Vermont.

3) Yes, if you wish to sell pet treats in Vermont, you need to register your product(s) with the Vermont Agency of Agriculture. You can find the Feed Product Registration Form here  or you a fillable pdf of the application can be found here

4) Yes, treats are feed products.

5) If the product is in its original form and does not contain a guaranteed analysis, it does not need to be registered. For example, "Whole Striped Sunflower Seed" does not need to be registered, but "Sunflower Hearts" needs to be registered. 

6) If you have an existing account, you can register products online at any time. If this is a new account, you will need to submit a paper application

7) You are required to register your product(s) whether they are sold online or in retail locations in Vermont. 

8) The basic components that make up a feed label are: product name, brand name, intended species, net weight, guaranteed analysis, ingredient list, name and address of manufacturer or distributor and feeding instructions. Please see our Feed Label Guidelines for more information. 

9) Labels should be sent to

10) Not necessarily. It will be accepted if it meets all Vermont requirements. 

11) Your product can be tested at a lab of your choice or done at the Agency's lab which is in Randolph. 

12) Currently we do no charge a tonnage fee for feed products. We do require tonnage reporting for all agricultural feed manufactured in Vermont. 

13) Yes, all sizes and flavors of your products need to be registered. Different sized packages of the same product do not need to be registered.  For example: Small Peanut Butter Biscuits and Large Peanut Butter Biscuits are two different products. Lamb and Rice Senior Dog Food and Lamb and Rice Senior Dog Food Small Bites are two different products. Large Peanut Butter Biscuits in a 16 oz. package, Large Peanut Butter Biscuits in a 5 lb. package and Large Peanut Butter Biscuits in a 25 lb. box are 1 product.

14) The registration fee is $105 per product annually. 

15) Your product(s) needs to be registered each year that it is offered for sale in Vermont. The registration year for feed is April 1st- March 31st. 

16) Depending on the time of year, it can take up to 4-6 weeks to receive a certificate of registration. If we have a question regarding your label, you will receive a phone call from us. If you have recently moved or changed your mailing address, please contact Licensing and Registration at 802-828-2436.

17) Please contact or submit a letter stating that you no longer wish to register your product. 

18) If you registered a product(s) last year and have not received a renewal form by March 10th, please contact Licensing and Registration at or 802-828-2436.

19) If there has been a change in ingredients, brand name or manufacturer, you will need to register your product as a new product. If there have been changes in graphics or font, you do not need to re-register. If you have questions about whether or not your label needs a new registration, send your question and a copy of your label to

20) In most cases, a raw product can be registered in the same way a non-raw product is registered. Please see below for additional requirements for raw dairy products.

21) Yes, you can register a raw dairy product in Vermont. Please see the label guidelines for additional requirements. Raw dairy products must be denatured to distinguish them from products intended for human consumption. Raw Dairy product registration may not be allowed in all States. 

22) Hemp is not recognized as a feed ingredient by the FDA or AAAFCO. However, hemp is allowed as a feed product/ingredient in Vermont. Any questions concerning the feeding of hemp should be addressed with your veterinarian. Hemp as a feed may not be allowed in all States.

23)  CBD is not recognized as a feed ingredient by the FDA or AAAFCO. However, CBD oil is allowed in treats in Vermont.  If your product is a supplement, there must be a  statement must be on the package similar to “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease”.