A license is required for the buying, selling, preparing, processing, packing, storing transporting, or otherwise handling meat, poultry and meat/poultry food products in the state of Vermont. This includes products slaughtered and processed under Federal jurisdiction. Applicable licensing categories include:
- Commercial slaughterhouse
- Commercial packing plant
- Commercial Poultry slaughterhouse
- Custom Slaughterhouse
- Custom Packing Plant
- Custom Poultry Slaughterhouse
- Wholesale Meat or Poultry Distributor
- Broker, Meat or Poultry Products
- Animal Food Manufacturer
- Public Warehouseman
- 4-D Animal Handler: Addendum to 4D license requirements
- This form is to request inspection services from the state of Vermont for establishments that will be operating under State Inspection. This form is to be filled out in conjunction with the Meat Handlers License application.
This Form used to request specimens of condemned or other inedible materials, including embryos and specimens of animal parasites, to be released for educational, research, or other nonfood purposes
- A retail license is required if you operate stores, sell or attempt to sell to consumers at their homes, or otherwise sell, display, advertise for sale, offer for sale, or have available for sale meat, meat food products and/or poultry products for purchase by household consumers.
Retail Specially Processed Meat/Poultry Variance
- This form is to request a variance to current regulations to allow special processing at the retail level, including but not limited to, smoking, curing (and uncured products), refining of livestock fats, drying and pickling. The full policy can be accessed below.
- This template can be used by commercial facilities to report their monthly production as required recordkeeping.
- To qualify for the on-farm slaughter exemption, a farmer must register with the Agency of Agriculture (6 V.S.A. §3311a (c)(2)). This registration expires on a calendar year basis. The farmer must renew the registration each calendar year, prior to allowing others to engage in on-farm slaughter activity on their farm.
- This template can be used by farm owners to fulfill the quarterly reporting requirements to the VT Agency of Agriculture regarding the slaughter activity conducted under the Personal Slaughter exemption (6 V.S.A. §3311a)