Skip to main content

Importing Plants to Vermont

Movement of plants and plant products into and within Vermont is subject to certain laws and regulations. All plants entering Vermont are required to originate from nurseries licensed by the state of origin.  There are Federal (USDA and CBP) rules applicable to movement of plant material into Vermont, and there are additional state requirements for movement of hemlock, pine, regulated noxious weeds, and some plants originating from foreign countries.  

Nursery Stock

Nursery stock transported into this state for sale, distribution or installation shall be accompanied by a valid certificate of inspection, a reasonable facsimile, or other certification accepted by the Secretary of Agriculture from the state of origin, or a federal United States Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, Plant Protection and Quarantine (USDA, APHIS, PPQ) inspector, stating that the nursery stock is believed to be free of injurious pests or plant diseases. The certificate shall contain the name and mailing address of the consignor.

Hemlock (Tsuga spp.)

The importation and intrastate movement of hemlock nursery stock, hemlock seedlings, brush, logs, lumber with attached bark, and hemlock bark chips is regulated in Vermont. The appropriate state or federal official in the exporting state must inspect and  issue a phytosanitary certificate or certificate of origin prior to shipment of the hemlocks.  Hemlock nursery stock must also be inspected by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture after arrival in Vermont, prior to sale.  Receiving operations and persons failing to comply with this requirement may be subject to administrative action, confiscation of material, and monetary penalties.
(See Quarantine #2 - Hemlock Woolly Adelgid)

Noxious Weeds

The importation, movement, sale, possession, cultivation and / or distribution of certain plants (noxious weeds) is regulated in Vermont.
(See Quarantine #3 - Noxious Weeds)

Pine shoot beetle (Tomicus piniperda)

Movement of pine nursery stock, Christmas trees, logs with bark, bark and bark mulch is no longer subject to federal restrictions. The Agency is assessing the need for continuation of the parallel internal state quarantine due to federal deregulation. 
(See Quarantine # 4 - Pine Shoot Beetle)

Import Permits

Importing plants from a foreign country requires a permit from the United States Department of Agriculture. Import Permit information can be found at USDA APHIS PPQ Agricultural Permits.  Additionally, introduction of hemlock and specified noxious weeds from international sources are subject to the applicable Vermont rules.