Farm Agronomic Practices Program

The Farm Agronomic Practices (FAP) Program utilizes state funding to help Vermont farms implement soil-based agronomic practices that improve soil quality, increase crop production, and reduce erosion and agricultural waste discharges. The FAP program also provides education and instructional activity grants to support outreach regarding the impacts of agricultural practices on water quality and current state agricultural water quality regulations.

Learn More about Farm Agronomic Practices 

Eligible Practices

  • Cover Cropping
  • Conservation Crop Rotation and Nurse Crop Cover Cropping
  • Nurse crops
  • Strip Cropping
  • Cross-Slope Tillage
  • Conservation Tillage
  • Manure Injection
  • Aeration 

FAP Program Requirements, Payment Schedule and Deadlines


Apply Now

Field Practice Application 

Applications for cover cropping are due AUGUST 1, 2018. There will be 15 days from August 1-August 15 for the Agency to request additional information or updated applications from applicants for a final due date of August 15, 2018. Producers are welcome to submit applications up to August 15, but any incomplete or illegible applications will not be eligible. 
All other practices under FAP will be reviewed in order of receipt. 

Educational and Instructional Activities Application

Educational and Instructional Activities applications must be submitted at least 1 month before activity and will be processed on a first-come-first served basis
Activities cannot occur prior to application approval

*Funding rates may change based on program demand.


Contact Information

Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets

116 State Street
Montpelier, Vt 05620-2901

Program Contacts

  • Media Inquiries                      802.622.4662
  • Licensing & Registration        802.828.2436
  • Business Development          802.828.1619
  • Feed, Seed, Fertilizer & Lime  802.828.2431
  • Working Lands                    802.622.4477
  • Public Health & Resource Management                802.828.2431
  • Laboratory               802.522.3502
  • Food Safety & Consumer Protection                        802.828.2426
    • Animal Health                        802.828.2421
    • Dairy                              802.828.2433
    • Consumer Protection / Weights & Measures        802.828.2433
    • Meat Inspection                    802.828.2426
  • Water Quality                               802.828.2431
    • Farmer Assistance                    802.622.4098
    • Enforcement                                802.828.2431
    • Reports                                      802.272.0323
    • BMP's                                      802.828.3474
  • Act 250                          802.828.2431 
  • Pesticide                        802.828.2431