Limit the amount of time spent outdoors from dusk to dawn.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants outside when mosquitoes are active.
- Use insect repellents that are labeled as being effective against mosquitoes. Effective ingredients are DEET, picaridin, and oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Cover baby carriages or outdoor play spaces with mosquito netting.
- Fix any holes in the screens in your house and make sure they are tightly attached to the doors and windows.
Reduce Mosquitoes Near Your Home
- Remove standing water around your house.
- Dispose of or regularly empty any water-holding containers (including trash cans) on your property.
- Drill holes in the bottom of recycling containers that are left outdoors, so water can drain out.
- Clean clogged roof gutters of leaves and debris that prevent drainage of rainwater.
- Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.
- Do not allow water to stagnate in birdbaths. Change it every three or four days.
- Keep swimming pools clean and properly chlorinated. Remove standing water from pool covers.
- Use landscaping to keep standing water from collecting on your property
VT Department of Health Mosquito Protection Information