Vermont Produce Safety Improvement Grants help Vermont produce growers implement on-farm food safety practices, transition to compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule, and meet market demands for on-farm food safety.
- Grow, harvest, pack or hold “covered produce” as defined by the Produce Safety Rule;
- Have annual produce sales, averaged over the past three years, of greater than $27,528 ; and
- Have enrolled in the Vermont Produce Portal.
How to Apply
This funding opportunity closed on January 31, 2019. To be notified of future grant rounds, enroll in the Produce Portal.
To learn more about the most recent grant round, download the Produce Safety Improvement Grant Program 2019 Request for Proposals (RFP).
To date, the Vermont Produce Safety Improvement Grant program has awarded $208,000 in grants to 30 Vermont farms. Read the 2018 Produce Safety Improvement Grant Impact Report.
Round Three Grantees (2019)
In April 2019, the Vermont Agency of Agriculture awarded $60,000 to 13 Vermont produce growers making on-farm improvements that prevent or reduce produce safety risks. VAAFM’s Produce Program issued a third round of Vermont Produce Safety Improvement Grants (VPSIG) to help Vermont producers continue to grow food safely, efficiently, and economically. Learn More.
Round Two Grantees (2018)
- Ananda Gardens to retrofit an existing barn to be adequately equipped to wash and pack produce ($10,000)
- Bear Roots Farm to install a year-round produce washroom and walk-in cooler in a new barn space and add stainless steel washing equipment ($10,000)
- Harlow Farm to update the root vegetable wash and pack line with materials that can be easily cleaned and sanitized ($6,179)
- Chapin Orchard to upgrade storage and processing areas with food-grade plastic panels, a stainless-steel sink, and epoxy-based floor treatments and create effective drainage in the facility ($5,740)
- Naked Acre Farm to build a wash/pack house that will be sealed from outside elements ($6,179)
- New Leaf CSA to upgrade the wash/pack area to a covered facility, add a cold storage unit, and install stainless steel counters and a sink for produce washing and handling ($9,502)
- Shelburne Orchards to add a protective insulation layer to the refrigerated storage room that can be effectively cleaned ($10,000)
- Singing Cedars Farmstead to improve the primary packing shed to exclude outside elements and add cleanable surfaces and storage for packaged produce and supplies ($10,000)
- Red Wagon Plants to improve the produce wash station by adding a covered roof and concrete pad ($6,400)
Round One Grantees (2018)
- Bread & Butter Farm, LLC to make wash/pack house improvements and increase produce safety hygiene signage around the farm ($8,664)
- Cate Farm to install a concrete slab and drain in the pack-house and replace existing equipment with stainless steel products ($7,156)
- Dutton Berry Farm to upgrade their wash/pack facility with concrete flooring and drainage and install equipment with easy-to-clean surfaces ($9,407)
- Hoolie Flats, LLC to upgrade their current wash/pack facility with drainage, easily cleanable wall panels and cleaning and sanitation equipment ($9,650)
- Last Resort Farm to add an additional cold storage cooler and upgrade existing coolers with temperature and humidity monitoring controls ($10,000)
- Old Soul Farm to enclose their wash/pack facility to reduce risk of pest intrusion and upgrade the facility with concrete flooring and stainless-steel washing tables ($10,000)
- Pete's Greens Organic Farm to integrate a wash water chiller into the wash line and to install temperature and humidity monitoring systems into cold storage bays of the wash/pack facility ($9,152)
- Sweetland Farm to add floor drains and roofing to the existing wash/pack facility ($10,000)
 A farm with an average annual monetary value of produce sold during the previous 3-year period of less than $25,000, adjusted for inflation using 2011 as the baseline year for calculating the adjustment, is not covered by the Produce Safety Rule. The average 3-year value for 2016–2018 is $27,528. See FSMA Inflation Adjusted Cut Offs for additional information.