Skip to main content

Registrations and Licensing

Many animal-focused occupations and activities must be licensed or permitted. The Animal Health Section oversees the issuance of the licenses and permits shown below and is responsible for regulating individuals, businesses or organizations that are licensed or registered with the Section. More information is available by clicking the title of the license or by calling the Animal Health Office at (802) 828-2421.

Premises Identification Number

Premises identification is a key component of animal disease traceability. The number links livestock and poultry locations to a national database for better management of emergencies and livestock tracability. Premises registration application.

The benefits to livestock and poultry owners with a PIN:

  • Rapid notification of livestock and poultry stakeholders during an emergency
  • Allows producers to purchase commercially available 840 ID tags
  • Preparation for animal health and food safety emergencies
  • Helps track animals in an emergency
  • Maintains or provides greater market access​

Livestock Dealer

A livestock dealer is defined by 6 V.S.A. Chapter 63 Section 761 as a person who, on the person’s own account or for commission, goes from place to place buying, selling, or transporting livestock either directly or through online or other remote transaction, or who operates a livestock auction or sales ring. The word "person" includes any individual partnership, unincorporated association or corporation. The word "livestock" includes cattle, horses, sheep, swine, goats, camelids, fallow deer and red deer. All livestock dealer applicants are inspected by the Agency of Agriculture's Animal Health Office prior to the issuance of a license.  Licensed Dealers and Transporters are obligated to ensure that all livestock entering Vermont under their care is accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection within 30 days prior to importation and a permit (except horses) obtained by contacting the Animal Health Office.

Application for Livestock Dealer

Livestock Transporter's License

A livestock transporter's license is a limited license, in that it is required of individuals transporting livestock belonging to others for remuneration. The holder of a transporter's license is not permitted to engage in the buying and selling of livestock. The transporting of animals by an individual who owns them is considered to be activity within the scope of regular farm operations and, therefore, does not require a transporter's license.

Application for Livestock Transporter

Livestock Packer's License

A livestock packer's license is required for people who are slaughterhouse owners/operators who buy animals for slaughter at their own slaughter facility. Exemptions to the licensing requirement apply to farmers buying or selling livestock in the regular operation of their farm business and farmers holding auction sales in the regular operation of farm business.

Application for Livestock Packer

Pet Shop License

Pet shops are required to be licensed by the State of Vermont through the Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets. A pet shop is defined by 20 V.S.A. Chapter 194 as a place of retail or wholesale business, including a flea market, that is not part of a private dwelling, where cats, dogs, wolf-hybrids, rabbits, rodents, birds, fish, reptiles, or other vertebrates are maintained or displayed for the purpose of sale or exchange to the general public. Prior to being licensed, an inspection by the Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets is required.

Pet Shop License Application
Consumer Right to Know Reporting Form
Animal Welfare Regulations

Pet Dealer Permit

Act 30, passed during the 2013 legislative session, amended the Pet Merchant licensing program that was historically managed by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets (VAAFM). Act 30 mandates that all qualified hobby pet breeders obtain a Pet Dealer permit from their town of residence.  Act 30 defines a “Pet Dealer” as any person who sells or exchanges, or who offers to sell or exchange, cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids, or any combination thereof, from three or more litters from cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids in any 12-month period. Act 30 replaced language regarding kennel permits with the newly defined Pet Dealer permit. Pet Dealers must apply to the municipal clerk of the town or city in which the cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids are kept for a Pet Dealer permit, and the annual permit fee is $25.00.

Dog/cat excerpt from Animal Welfare Regulations (for use by town clerks)
Animal Licensing Information Document
Letter to Town Clerks Regarding Pet Dealer Permit Requirements
Vermont League of Cities and Towns - Book of Woof (2014)

Humane Euthanasia Registration

Title 20 of the Vermont State Statutes requires the Vermont Secretary of Agriculture to establish rules for a humane euthanasia of animals training program and a certification process for persons completing the program. The statute further requires the Secretary to establish rules for the possession and use of euthanasia solutions by registered animal shelters that utilize certified euthanasia technicians (CET). The rules must identify euthanasia solutions which may be used, techniques for the proper handling and storage of solutions, requirements for recordkeeping, and address any other matter deemed necessary by the secretary.

To fulfill these requirements, VAAFM promulgated a rule titled Rules for the Humane Euthanasia of Animals in Registered Animal Shelters and formed an advisory board, called the Euthanasia Board of Animals (EBA) to fulfill the statutory requirements. The EBA consists of seven members; three veterinarians recommended by the Vermont Veterinary Medical Association; three representatives of registered animal shelters recommended by the Vermont Humane Federation; and the State Veterinarian or another veterinarian representative of the Secretary.

Contact the Animal Health Office if you have any questions regarding this program or if you are an individual who needs to obtain an initial registration as a CET or renew an existing registration:

Statutory language pertaining to humane euthanasia in Vermont can be found at the following links:

20 VSA Sec. 3913

20 VSA Sec. 3903

USDA Animal Care

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) enforces the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) to protect certain animals from inhumane treatment and neglect. The AWA requires that minimum standards of care and treatment be provided for certain animals bred for commercial sale, used in research, transported commercially, or exhibited to the public. Individuals operating facilities using animals in these ways must provide their animals with adequate housing, handling, sanitation, nutrition, water, veterinary care, and protection from extreme weather and temperatures. If you need to determine if your business should be licensed with USDA, please visit Animal Care's website or use their interactive web assistant tool.