Captive Cervids

Vermont's captive cervid industry is diverse, consisting of hobby cervid farmers, commercial cervid producers, and captive hunt facilities.  The Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets' Animal Health Section regulates Vermont's farmed cervid facilities, and the Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife regulates Vermont's captive hunt facilities. 

Unlike some other livestock species, movement requirements exist for intrastate as well as interstate movement of cervids.  These movement requirements are in place to help control the spread of diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease and Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. 

Owners or managers of existing cervid facilities who have questions about movement of animals or need to obtain a movement permit should contact the Animal Health Office for assistance.  You may also view the Vermont Rules Governing Captive Cervidae and the cervid section of the general importation rules for additional information.

Rules pertaining to Fish and Wildlife's regulation of captive hunt facilities can be viewed by clicking here.

Federal Animal Disease Traceability Requirements for Cervids can be viewed by clicking here.