Vermont Hemp Growers Eligible for Funding for Irrigation and High Tunnels

15 April 2021
high tunnel

April 15, 2021 | Montpelier, VT - As many hemp farmers know, access to irrigation can make or break a season, but help is on the way.  On March 22, the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) announced the availability of financial assistance through the Agricultural Management Assistance Program (AMA).  This funding source “helps agricultural producers use conservation to manage risk and address natural resource issues through natural resource conservation.” Funding can be used for high tunnels, irrigation or water conservation practices.  High tunnels can be used as an energy efficient way to start seeds, help protect hemp crops against frost, and improve plant and soil quality. Additionally, using drip irrigation is a great way to conserve water and reduce soil erosion, and is an efficient way to deliver nutrients to hemp crops. Priority will be given to historically underserved groups, such as new and beginning farmers, socially disadvantaged farmers, and veteran farmers.

Hemp farmers that are registered with the Vermont Hemp Program and have an established relationship with the Farm Service Agency are eligible to apply for these funds. 

The deadline for application in Vermont is May 14, 2021.  To apply, please work with your local NRCS field office,

* Please be aware projects funded in 2021 will be implemented in time for the 2022 growing season.



Contact Information

Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets

116 State Street
Montpelier, Vt 05620-2901


Program Contacts

  • Media Inquiries                      802.622.4662
  • Licensing & Registration        802.828.2436
  • Business Development          802.828.1619
  • Feed, Seed, Fertilizer & Lime  802.828.5050
  • Working Lands                    802.622.4477
  • Public Health & Resource Management                802.828.2431
  • Laboratory                                  802.585.6073
  • Animal Health                        802.828.2421
  • Dairy                              802.828.2433
  • Consumer Protection / Weights & Measures                           802.828.2433
  • Produce Program                  802.461.5128
  • Meat Inspection                    802.828.2426
  • Water Quality                               802.828.2431
    • Grants                                  802.622.4098
    • Enforcement                                802.828.2431
    • Reports                                      802.272.0323
    • BMP's                                      802.828.3474
  • Act 250                          802.828.2431 
  • Pesticide                        802.828.2431