Skip to main content

Dosage Form Animal Health Product FAQs

1) What is a dosage form animal health product?

2) Do I need a license to sell my dosage form animal health product in the State of Vermont?

3) I'm not sure if my product is a dosage form animal health product, feed supplement or treat. How should I register the product?

4) How do I register my products? Can I do so online? 

5) If I only sell my product online, do I need to register it? 

6) What needs to be on the label? 

7) Where do I send labels? 

8) If my product is registered in another state, will you automatically accept the label? 

9) Do I need to pay tonnage? 

10) Do I have to register all flavors and formulations? 

11) What is the registration fee?

12) Do I need to register my product every year?]

13) I submitted my product registration, but haven't heard anything. What should I do? 

14) I no longer want to sell my product(s). Do I need to do anything? 

15) I never recieved a renewal form. What should I do? 

16) I have revised my labels. Do I need to do anything? 

17) What happens if I don't register my product?  Can I still sell it? 


1) Per 6 V.S.A. § 323, “ Dosage form animal health product means any product intended to affect the structure or function of the animal’s body or enhance or support the health or well-being of livestock, poultry, dogs, cats, or other domestic animals that does not provide nutritional benefit, does not require a prescription from a licensed veterinarian, is not intended for cosmetic purposes, or is exempted by the Secretary by rule. "Dosage form animal product" shall not include a product regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a drug." 

2) A “license” is not required to sell/distribute dosage form animal health products in Vermont. However, you are required to register each of the products you wish to sell/distribute in Vermont. 

3)If you aren’t sure which category your product fits into, prior to completing the application, submit a copy of your label to The Secretary of Agriculture has the authority to determine if your product is a feed product, feed supplement or dosage form animal health product.  You can also consult our label guidelines for dosage form animal health products and feed products. 

4) If you have an existing account you can register your product online at any time. If this is a new account, you will need to submit a paper application. You can download a copy of that application here. 

5) You are required to register your product whether it is sold online or in retail locations. 

6) The basid components that make up a label are product name, brand name, intended species, net weight and/or count, active ingredient list, inactive ingredient list, name and address or email address of manufacturer or distributor and directions for use. Please see our guidelines for more information. 

7)  For prior approval lor for questions concenring the category of a product, abels should be sent to Otherwise labels should be submitted when you mail in your registration application. 

8) Not necessarily. It will be accepted if it meets all Vermont Requirements.

9) We do not require tonnage reporting for dosage form animal health products. 

10) All flavors and formulations of your products need to be registered. Different sized packages of the same product do not need to be registered.

11) The registration fee is $35 per product annually.

12) Your product(s) needs to be registered each year that it is offered for sale. The registration year for fee is April 1- March 31st.

13) Depending on the time of year, it can take up to 6 weeks to receive a certificate of registration. If we have a question regarding your label, you will receive a phone call from us. If you have recently moved or changed your mailing address, please contact Licensing and Registration at 802-828-2436.

14) Please contact or submit a letter stating that you no longer wish to register your product.

15) If you registered a product(s) last year and have not received a renewal form by March 10th, please contact Licensing and Registration at or 802-828-2436.

16)   If there has been a change in ingredients, brand name or manufacturer, you will need to register your product as a new product. If there have been changes in graphics or font, you do not need to re-register. If you have questions about whether your label needs a new registration, send your question and a copy of your label to

17)If your product is found for sale within the state of Vermont, including online sales, and the product has not been registered, you will receive a letter stating that you must register your product of stop selling it within the state of Vermont. If you continue to sell the product, a cease-and-desist order could be issued along with a fine.