Photo courtesy of Tup's Crossing Farm, LLC - Orwell, VT
The Northeast Dairy Business Innovation Center (NE-DBIC) and its partners offers grants, events, workshops, and educational opportunities to dairy farmers, processors, and service providers.
This grant will provide dairy farmers, processors, and/or producer associations with funds needed to take actionable steps to improve the safety of dairy products. Projects funded through this program will support increased production safety standards with the goal of accessing new markets. Projects that increase marketability of dairy products will be prioritized. Activities covered by this grant include accessing technical assistance, audits, food safety plan development, training, testing fees, and certain infrastructure upgrades.
Grants available of $10,000 - $40,000.
Application period: October 26, 2021 - February 3, 2022
This grant will fund projects that decrease environmental impacts of dairy product and supply chain packaging and increase marketability of dairy products. Grant funds are available to projects along the spectrum of research, development, and implementation and for projects at a variety of scales. Projects will be collaborative across sectors and include an educational or information sharing component. Dairy processors, dairy producer associations and businesses/organizations in manufacturing, dairy supply chain, or institutions sectors that partner with dairy processors are invited to apply.
Grants available of $75,000 - $350,000.
Pre-application period: February 3, 2022 - March 17, 2022
Multi-Business Dairy Agritourism Grant: In February 2022, the NE-DBIC will release a second round of this grant opportunity. Projects that support multiple farmers and processors will be eligible for grant funds for the development and marketing of geographically contiguous agritourism activities designed to raise awareness and consumption of regionally produced dairy products.
Grazing, Forage & Alternative Management Cohort Technical Assistance: In February 2022, the NE-DBIC will release the fourth round of this contract opportunity for service providers to offer localized cohort-based technical assistance to dairy farmers.
- SIAL Canada: In April 2022, the NE-DBIC will host a pavilion at international food and beverage trade show, SIAL Canada, to showcase value-added dairy products from across the Northeast U.S.
Dairy Marketing & Branding Services Grant: In April 2022, the NE-DBIC will release a second round of this grant opportunity which will provide funds for established value-added dairy processors to access and utilize professional marketing and branding services.
Dairy Processor Innovation Grant: coming June 2022
Dairy Farm Innovation Grant: coming August 2022
Competitive Grants and Contracts Underway
Dairy Business Viability & Technical Assistance Grant: Grants to fund Northeast dairy processors, producer associations, supply chain businesses, and technical assistance providers to enhance dairy farmer and processor business operations and strengthen market opportunities.
Goat and Sheep Dairy Supply Chain Grant: A grant program that funds Northeast dairy farmers, processors, and/or producer associations to improve the goat and/or sheep dairy supply chain.
Assessment of Dairy Farms Interested in Producing Specialty Cheese Quality Milk: A study to understand the level of interest from dairy farmers, located generally in central to southern Vermont and northern Massachusetts, in producing milk specifically for specialty cheese production.
Dairy Marketing & Branding Services Grant: A grant for established value-added dairy processors to access and utilize professional marketing and branding services.
Transition to Grazing Cohort Technical Assistance: Service providers across the Northeast were invited to submit proposals for contracts to offer localized cohort-based technical assistance for dairy farmers considering transitioning their farm to a grass-based production model.
Multi-Business Dairy Agritourism Grant: This grant serves to elevate dairy businesses through agritourism across the Northeast region of the United States.
- Goat & Sheep Dairy Market Research, Interactive Dashboard, & Webinar: A suite of resources that educate about goat and sheep dairy consumer preferences in the Northeast and opportunities in the marketplace.
- Dairy Experience Forum: In July 2021, the Dairy Experience Forum connected participants to top industry speakers as they share actionable consumer insights, forecasting, and industry thought leadership. Hosted by New England Dairy with support from NE-DBIC.
- Dairy Visioning Workshops: In September 2020, a workshop series was delivered to current Vermont dairy farmers focused on the development of concrete, actionable tools and frameworks to plan the future of their farms.
- Northern Region Dairy Summit: At this two-day summit in 2019, the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets (VAAFM) facilitated a discussion between dairy farmers, dairy officials, industry experts and legislative leaders to determine what areas of information were most sensitive to the ongoing success and survival of traditional dairy farming in our region.
- Legislative Dairy Tour: In response to requests from the Vermont dairy community at the Northern Region Dairy Summit, officials at the VAAFM organized a legislative tour of six dairies in Vermont.