Job Opening: Agriculture Development Specialist I - Limited Service
Title: Agriculture Development Specialist I - Limited Service
Application Deadline Date: 04/22/2019
Req ID: 1444
Department: Agriculture, Food & Markets Agency
Montpelier, VT, US
Position Type: Limited Service
Schedule Type: Full Time
Hourly Rate: $23.35
Do you love fruits and vegetables and are you interested in helping their businesses grow?
The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets seeks an Agriculture Development Specialist I to support the Vermont Produce Program. This position will engage with fruit and vegetable growers, produce buyers and distributors, agricultural service providers and researchers, and staff across the Agency of Agriculture. This position will engage with Vermont producers and partners and will have the opportunity to connect with other state programs, buyers, and distributions within the Northeast region.
Primary duties of this position include:
- Conducting outreach to fruit and vegetable growers and produce buyers/distributors with a focus on produce safety and market opportunities.
- Managing operations of the Produce Safety Improvement Grant (PSIG) program and the Vermont Specialty Crop Block Grant Program (SCBGP) for both growers and support organizations.
- Facilitating internal Produce Program communication, including updating program calendars and scheduling meetings, trainings, and farm visits.
- Assisting with data collection and analysis to report programmatic accomplishments.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, has strong communication and facilitation skills, and is ready to engage in multiple projects. Candidates can expect a mix of programmatic and administrative responsibilities in this role and should enjoy collaboration, diverse work assignments, and a fast-paced work environment. Join a dynamic group of public servants who support public health and a viable agricultural economy. Apply today!
Who May Apply
This position, Agriculture Development Specialist I (Job Requisition #1444), is open to all State employees and external applicants. It is a Limited Service position, which is non-tenured and authorized for a specific period of time. Limited Service positions are established for specially funded projects or programs.
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Abbey.Willard@vermont.gov
Please note that multiple positions in the same work location may be filled from this job posting.
Resumes will not be accepted via e-mail. You must apply online to be considered.
Duties are performed in a variety of settings, including open floorplan office, producer and market sites, and public events, project sites and potential hearing settings. Some in-state and limited regional, out-of-state travel is involved for which private reliable means of transportation must be available. Occasional public communication, both verbally and in writing is required. An incumbent must coordinate activities with other departmental staff and interact considerably with agricultural and land development business people, interest groups and the general public. Certain required activities may occur outside of normal office hours.
Bachelor's degree AND one (1) year or more of experience at or above a technical level in agriculture, marketing, environmental conversation, communications, land use planning or another relevant field.
Completion of Lean White Belt training.
Experience assisting in the annualized management of grant and program funding.
As a State employee you are offered a great career opportunity, but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation, including:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Want the specifics? Explore the Benefits of State Employment on our website.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Vermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.