2020 Farm to School Awareness Day Grantee Awards Ceremony
February 12, 2020 | Montpelier, VT – The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets (VAAFM) hosted a celebration of the Vermont Farm to School and Childcare Grant Program at the Vermont State House this afternoon, recognizing 7 Vermont school communities and 2 early childcare organizations with important grants to support their local food programming.
The Vermont Farm to School and Childcare Grant Program strives to improve the education and health of Vermont’s students, and positively impact the local economy, by providing Vermont schools and childcare programs with technical and financial assistance to develop and execute farm to school and farm to childcare programs. These programs integrate fresh, healthy, locally grown foods and nutrition education into Vermont’s cafeterias, classrooms and communities.
Agriculture Secretary Anson Tebbetts, Health Commissioner Mark Levine and Education Secretary Daniel French helped present the recipients with their grants today. The programs are:
The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets has administered the Vermont Farm to School and Early Childcare Grant Program since 2006. Enabled by the Rozo McLaughlin Farm to School Act of 2006, the grant program helps schools develop and sustain relationships with local producers, enrich the educational experience of children, improve the health of Vermont children, and enhance Vermont’s agricultural economy.
Important information about Vermont Farm to School since 2006:
- Over $1.4 million in state funds invested;
- Over 50 thousand students and children have been served by the Vermont Farm to School Program;
- Grants awarded to 176 schools and 45 early childhood education organizations;
- For every dollar spent on local food in Vermont schools through the Vermont Farm to School Program, an additional 60 cents goes back into our state’s agricultural economy;
- The success of Vermont’s grant program has made the state a national leader in farm to school and has played a role in helping secure hundreds of thousands of federal grant dollars for farm to school in the state.
For more pictures please see the VAAFM Facebook page.
For more information about the Farm to School program visit our website, or please contact:
Farm to Institution Program Manager
VT Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
Trevor.firstname.lastname@example.org | 802-585-9186