Non-Sewage Waste Transfer Program

Introduction to the Non-Sewage Waste Transfer Program:

As part of Act 129 of 2020, signed into law by Governor Scott on July 1, 2020, the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets (VAAFM) was directed to regulate the generators or haulers of non-sewage waste who are transporting or arranging for the transport of non-sewage waste to a farm for the deposit into a manure pit or for use as an input in a methane digester.

Non-sewage waste and sewage waste definitions:

"Non-sewage waste" means any waste other than sewage that may contain organisms pathogenic to human beings but does not mean stormwater runoff.

"Sewage" means waste containing human fecal coliform and other potential pathogenic organisms from sanitary waste and used water from any building, including carriage water and shower and wash water. "Sewage" shall not mean stormwater runoff as that term is defined in 10 V.S.A. § 1264.

Title 6 Chapter 215 Subchapter 002 § 4817 (6 V.S.A. § 4817) identifies:

The Secretary may require a person transporting or arranging for the transport of non-sewage waste to a farm for deposit in a manure pit or for use as an input in a methane digester to report to the Secretary one or more of the following:

(1) the composition of the material transported, including the source of the material; and

(2) the volume of the material transported.

After receipt of a report required under subsection (a), the Secretary may prohibit the import of non-sewage waste onto a farm upon a determination that the import of the material would violate the nutrient management plan for the farm or otherwise present a threat to water quality. (Added 2019, No. 129 (Adj. Sess.), § 16.)


If you plan to transport or arrange the transport of non-sewage waste, as defined in “Non-sewage waste and sewage waste definitions”, to a farm for the deposit in a waste storage facility or for use as an input in a methane digestor, the transfer of this waste is regulated by VAAFM authority.

Note: If you plan to apply this non-sewage waste directly onto farm fields, this waste transfer is regulated by ANR authority. Please contact ANR’s Indirect Discharge Program supervisor: Bryan Harrington ( or (802) 505-0972).

Application and Reporting Process

To transfer non-sewage waste to a farm’s manure pit or for use as an input in a methane digester, the generator or hauler of the non-sewage waste must:

  1. Sample the non-sewage waste material with the following parameters and units:

  1. Complete and submit the Proposed Non-Sewage Waste Transfer Application Form.  This form requires you to select specific farms.  Please reach out to the farms ahead of time to ensure they want to possibly accept this waste.
  2. VAAFM reviews the Proposed Non-Sewage Waste Transfer Application Form and sample analysis to ensure completion, and contacts farms identified in the Proposed Non-sewage Waste Transfer Application Form.

Note: In a separate process, the farm may also have to submit necessary paperwork for them to receive this waste prior to accepting it. This step sometimes takes the longest, depending on how quickly and accurately the farm submits the necessary paperwork.

  1. If the Agency concludes the farm(s) have demonstrated adequate storage capacity and land base to accept the waste, VAAFM will draft a Reporting Requirements document for the new-sewage waste generator or hauler.  The Reporting Requirements will outline sampling parameters and reporting schedule.
  2. The generator will submit the Reported Non-sewage Waste Transfer Cover Sheet and required attachments in the timeframe specified in the Reporting Requirement document.


Proposed Non-Sewage Waste Transfer Application Form

Reporting Sheet for Non-Sewage Waste Transfer

Contact and Questions:

For questions about the Non-Sewage Waste Transfer Program and how to move forward with the process outlined above, please contact:

For general inquiries:

Krista Battles, Agricultural Water Quality Specialist: (802) 522-0011  I

Brittany Cole, Agricultural Water Quality Specialist: (802) 522-7413  l

For questions about the regulatory statue, please contact:

Laura DiPietro, Water Quality Division Director: (802) 595-1990 |

Ryan Patch, Water Quality Division Deputy Director:  (802) 272-0323 |

Contact Information

Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets

116 State Street
Montpelier, Vt 05620-2901


Program Contacts

  • Media Inquiries                      802.622.4662
  • Licensing & Registration        802.828.2436
  • Business Development          802.828.1619
  • Feed, Seed, Fertilizer & Lime  802.828.5050
  • Working Lands                    802.622.4477
  • Public Health & Resource Management                802.828.2431
  • Laboratory                                  802.585.6073
  • Animal Health                        802.828.2421
  • Dairy                              802.828.2433
  • Consumer Protection / Weights & Measures                           802.828.2433
  • Produce Program                  802.461.5128
  • Meat Inspection                    802.828.2426
  • Water Quality                               802.828.2431
    • Grants                                  802.622.4098
    • Enforcement                                802.828.2431
    • Reports                                      802.272.0323
    • BMP's                                      802.828.3474
  • Act 250                          802.828.2431 
  • Pesticide                        802.828.2431