Financial Assistance Available for Farms Recovering after Severe Wind Storms

                                     (Caterpillar tunnel damaged at 1000 Stone Farm, Brookfield Vermont)

For Immediate Release
Tuesday, October 31, 2017

MONTPELIER, Vt. –  The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets urges farmers seeking financial recovery assistance to apply for emergency loans as soon as possible.

By Tuesday afternoon, more than a dozen Vermont farms reported damage or problems caused by wind storms Sunday night and Monday morning. This storm is a multi-day event and it’s likely more farms will be impacted as energy crews work to restore power. In many cases, agricultural structures like greenhouses, high tunnels, hoop barns and other mobile field shelters were significantly damaged. Several dairy farms continue to use generators to power milking operations, presenting additional logistical challenges. In some areas, full restoration could take until the weekend.

The Vermont Farm Fund (VFF), a program of the Center for an Agricultural Economy, offers an emergency loan program to help farmers recover from natural disasters. The program currently has around $70,000 in available funding. The maximum loan amount is $10,000 with 0% interest, payable over 24 months.

Once an application is submitted, most emergency loan requests are approved within 14 business days. To apply, download an application here. For additional information about the Vermont Farm Fund program visit, or contact the VFF Program Manager, Kate Stephenson, at

The Agency of Agriculture continues to encourage farmers to document any losses from the recent storm. It’s helpful to take pictures and keep detailed records. This information could be valuable for farmers, state and federal officials as they calculate the economic impact of this wind storm.

Vermonters are encouraged to heed the below advice in high winds and during power outages:

  • Never use a generator indoors;
  • Never touch a downed power line;
  • Check on your neighbors;
  • If you have damage to your home call your insurance company then report the damage to your town.

If you need immediate assistance, want to report damage or have any question please call the Agency’s emergency line at 802-241-5497, or the state assistance line 2-1-1. You can also email or contact the Agency at 802-828-2430.