Hemp Program Registration


Please check back in mid-November for updates on registering for the 2020 growing season.

The Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets (AAFM) has an Industrial Hemp Program compliant with federal law as authorized by Title 6, Chapter 34.  Individuals and businesses that want to participate in Vermont’s program as growers or processors must submit a complete application form, provide required aerial maps, GPS locations, and applicable fees.   There are no residency requirements, minimum acreages, or limitations on the numbers of registrants in AAFM's program. All registrations are annual, a registration in the program is not valid beyond the end of that calendar year. ​If you are retailing hemp products and are not formulating or processing hemp into hemp products or hemp-infused products, there is no need to register with the Agency.

Once the Agency receives the complete application and payment it takes approximately 10 business days to certify locations and to issue the registration.  Registrations are sent via email to the business email address in the application.  

  • Have the GPS coordinates identified before beginning the online application process.
  • Submissions must be complete and accurate.  
  • There are no deadlines to register. The AAFM accepts submissions throughout the calendar year. 
  • The AAFM will review complete applications including required fees in the order in which they are received. 
  • Registrations are not transferable.
  • All information provided to AAFM may be subject to disclosure under 1 V.S.A. §315 et. seq., Vermont Public Records Law.
  • Please keep a copy of the complete submission for your records, including copies of submitted maps.

Who are Growers?

Growers are registrants in possession of viable seed, live and harvested plants.  Growers can cultivate plants in fields, greenhouses or indoors, and may store, dry and transport their hemp crops. Registration with AAFM as a Grower is required to cultivate hemp, and a submission must include aerial view maps that identify the cultivation area and drying/storage areas, and  the location of driveway entrances to these features from a public road. A Grower Registrant may register multiple cultivation areas or drying and storage areas on a single registration application.  Growers of a certain size must comply with the Required Agricultural Practices.  Please contact your farm coordinator for more information.

Mapping for Cultivation, Drying and Storage Areas (additional guidance, below including sample map)

At this time the Agency is not accepting electronic aerial view maps.  Please be sure to send in a hard copy of your map with the fee and remittance letter.  Failure to include the map will result in delays in the registration process. 

Aerial view maps must

  • be in color
  • include the name of registrant, name of business entity (if applicable), the physical address of the location of the field represented in the map, including town or city
  • include the name of most nearly adjacent public road
  • have a point marking the vehicular access from a public road to the cultivation area, or drying and storage areas (please make sure all GPS coordinates are accurate and are the same as what is on the submitted application form)
  • the outline of the boundaries of the cultivation site



Who are Processors?

Processors are registrants in possession of harvested plants or seed, hemp concentrate, or any hemp process intermediate used in the formulation of retail products. Processors may process harvested crops into end products such as pre-rolls, concentrates, seed hearts, pressed oils, fiber or hemp-infused products from derivatives of the hemp plant.  Processors may also transport, dry and store harvested crops from registered growers, and may market and broker harvested crops. Registration as a Processor requires the submission of GPS locations of vehicular entrances to a processing site from a public road.  A processor may only register a single processing site per registration.

​Contact Information

Please note that Licensing and Registration does not assist applicants in completing the registration forms.

All questions concerning the AAFM's Hemp Program should be directed to AGR.hemp@Vermont.gov.

Contact Information

Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets

116 State Street
Montpelier, Vt 05620-2901

Program Contacts

  • Media Inquiries                      802.622.4662
  • Licensing & Registration        802.828.2436
  • Business Development          802.828.1619
  • Feed, Seed, Fertilizer & Lime  802.828.2431
  • Working Lands                    802.622.4477
  • Public Health & Resource Management                802.828.2431
  • Laboratory               802.522.3502
  • Animal Health                        802.828.2421
  • Dairy                              802.828.2433
  • Consumer Protection / Weights & Measures                            802.828.2433
  • Meat Inspection                    802.828.2426
  • Water Quality                               802.828.2431
    • Farmer Assistance                    802.622.4098
    • Enforcement                                802.828.2431
    • Reports                                      802.272.0323
    • BMP's                                      802.828.3474
  • Act 250                          802.828.2431 
  • Pesticide                        802.828.2431