The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets now has an online hemp registration and compliance portal enabling Hemp Program participants to complete their registration application online. Central functions of the portal include the ability to map cultivation areas and processing sites within the registration application and to accept online payments via credit card and electronic check. A person is able to register all growing and processing activities on a single application.
A person must register with the program if the intent is to grow, cultivate or process hemp in the state of Vermont. Hemp “means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of the plant, including the seeds and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, acids, salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3% on a dry weight basis."
Online Registration Overview
New registrants are encouraged to set up an account on the registration and compliance portal at hemp.vermont.gov, login, and complete their application for registration online (please use a internet browser other than Internet Explorer, such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). The online registration is mobile device friendly, too. To help you complete an application there are tips throughout the process. There is also an FAQs page within the portal that provides answers to common questions about the registration process. When mapping make sure to map/draw the boundaries of your outdoor cultivation areas by setting multiple points using the draw polygon tool.
Once the program reviews and approves your registration, the registration document is automatically emailed to the email address entered when creating the user verified account. Applicants can also view and download their registrations directly in the portal and can print individual maps of cultivation areas and processing sites, as needed.
- Grower Registration FAQ and Processor Registration FAQ
- There are no deadlines to register. The VAAFM accepts submissions throughout the calendar year.
- Registrations are not transferable.
- Information provided to AAFM may be subject to disclosure under 1 V.S.A. §315 et. seq., Vermont Public Records Law.
A person registered to grow, process, or grow and process hemp for floral material production, viable seed, or cannabinoids shall not grow more acres of hemp or process more pounds of hemp than the amount identified in the registration without first notifying the Agency and paying an additional registration fee, if necessary. Please contact the AGR.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The cost of registration to cultivate hemp for personal use is $25.00 in 2020. Personal use cultivation areas are limited to less than 0.5 acres. There is no requirement to register as a processor if processing for personal use. No hemp crops, products or infused products shall enter the commercial marketplace under a personal use registration. All other registration fees to grow and process hemp are increasing for the 2020 registration year and can be found in 6 V.S.A. § 570.
The cost of registration for commercial production of seed for food oil production or as a grain crop, or fiber is $100 regardless of the number of acres being grown and/or the number of pounds being processed annually.
An application to grow and/or process hemp commercially for floral material, viable seed outdoors, or to process crops to extract cannabinoids or other chemical compounds, is the greater of the number of acres planted or the dry weight of the hemp crop or viable seed processed annually.
- Less than 0.5 acres or less than 500 pounds is $100.00
- 0.5 to 9.9 acres or less than 10,000 pounds is $500.00
- 10 to 50 acres or 50,000 pounds is $1,000.00
- Greater than 50 acres or greater than 50,000 pounds is $3,000.00
An application to grow exclusively indoors (bringing plants to flower under lights), or grow and process that crop for commercial production of floral material, viable seed, or cannabinoids and processing of that harvest is based on the size of the indoor cultivation area. The fee to register an indoor cultivation area, including processing that crop, of
- 500 square feet or less is $1,000.00; and
- greater than 500 square feet is $2,000.00.
Once the Agency receives the complete application and payment it takes approximately 10 business days to certify locations and to issue the registration. Registrations are sent via email to the email address provided to the Hemp Program.
Registration using fillable/printable application form
An applicant may use a 2020 hemp registration application PDF form. Please keep a copy of the complete submission for your records, including copies of submitted maps.
- Applications and Maps must be complete and accurate and may be emailed to the AGR.Hemp@vermont.gov; or
- The entire application may be mailed into the VAAFM along with the payment. If payment is mailed in separate from a complete emailed application form and map, the fee that is mailed must be accompanied by a copy of the registration form to facilitate tracking of payment.
- Registration guidance for PDF application
- Mapping guidance for PDF application
- Checks must be made out to VAAFM and mailed in to the address, below.
- If you would like to amend a registration based on a PDF form submitted to the Hemp Program to increase your cultivation area or volume of materials processed , please complete an amendment application.
Please mail all fees noting in the memo line of the check that payment is for registration with the Hemp Program to:
Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
Licensing and Registration
116 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-2901
Questions about registration can be directed to Agr.Hemp@vermont.gov or 802-828-1732.
Please note that Licensing and Registration does not assist applicants in completing the registration applications.