Hemp Registration Program

Industrial hemp or hemp is the Cannabis sativa L. plant including all parts of the plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis. In Vermont, industrial hemp is considered an “agricultural product” when grown by an individual that is registered with Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets (the "Agency") as part of its pilot program. Cannabis sativa L. with a THC concentration greater than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis is not industrial hemp and is not an agricultural product. It is a violation of the federal Controlled Substance Act to cultivate or possess industrial hemp in Vermont, unless the industrial hemp is grown, cultivated, or marketed under a pilot program authorized by section 7606 of the federal Agricultural Act of 2014, Pub. L. No. 113-79 (2014 Farm Bill).

The Agency through its industrial hemp program, authorized under 6 VSA, Chapter 34, accepts registrations from interested hemp growers.  There are no residency requirements, minimum acreages, or limitations on the numbers of registrants. This is an annual registration; applications received and processed in previous years are not valid beyond the end of that calendar year.  Growers must have a valid registration prior to sowing through harvest and drying.



The Agency is currently not accepting registrations for the 2019 growing season.  Please be patient while we develop the 2019 forms for both growers and processors.

Individuals or companies wishing to register should do so by downloading and completing the Hemp Registration Form. Applicants are required to fill in all fields, sign/initial as appropriate, and return the form with the registration fee to the Agency at the address on the form. Incomplete forms will be returned to the applicants along with submitted fee. 


  • Hemp Registration Form (if you need to register in 2018, please email AGR.Hemp@vermont.gov)
  • Registration Guidance (coming soon)
  • Mapping Guidance (coming soon)


The Agency is offering a voluntary sampling and analysis program for THC and other cannabinoids.  Results and experiences obtained through this program will provide direction for our efforts to provide analytical services and regulatory guidance for the hemp program in the future.  

Other Programs

If you are growing industrial hemp to sell live plants you must obtain a Nursery-Greenhouse License and comply with all requirements of  the Nursery Inspection Program. The Vermont Agency of Agriculture licenses nurseries in VT based on size of the outlet or growing operation and inspects to verify pest-free status of plants being sold in Vermont.  

Contact Information

Questions specifically about the status of your registration should be directed to AGR.Licensing@vermont.gov or (802) 828-2436

General questions and concerns about the Vermont Industrial Hemp program, the sampling and analysis pilot program or procedures, or hemp generally should be directed to AGR.hemp@Vermont.gov.