Bees & Bears

The Vermont Department of Fish & Wildlife handles all bear damage complaints in Vermont. A beekeeper must contact the local Fish & Game Warden if bear-related problems are noted.  If certain conditions are met, a beekeeper may be reimbursed a portion of the damages caused by bears.  See the resource section on the Apiary Page for links to information about dealing with bears and suggestions on building a bear fence.  All bee hives in Vermont are required to be registered with the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, and   verification of registration is often the first step a warden will take when processing a complaint.

For additional information visit the Vermont Beekeepers Association or contact the State Apiculturist.