The application will open on Monday January 7th, 2019 and the deadline for the FY2019 LFMD Grant is Thursday, January 31st, 2019 at 12pm (noon).
If you have program specific questions regarding this funding opportunity, please contact:Alissa Matthews
Agriculture Development Coordinator
802-505-1661 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have applied for a VAAFM grant in the past using our online Grants Management System, please LOG IN to APPLY for the Local Food Market Development Program HERE!
If you have never applied for a VAAFM grant using our online system you must first REGISTER HERE!
Need help with the application? Find instructions here, and please direct any online Grants Management System or Log In questions to:Diana Ferguson Grants Specialist 802-622-4094 or email@example.com
Details of the Local Food Market Development Grant:
The Vermont Agency of Agriculture is pleased to announce the availability of up to 30k of funding for Local Food Market Development Grants to assist eligible Vermont farmers, businesses, and value-chain facilitators to reach new markets. Over the past 7 years the Vermont state legislature has annually appropriated funds to the VAAFM to support market opportunities with an institutional or other wholesale focus in Vermont.
This year’s grants will be available to projects that have goals to improve quality, efficiency, or food safety; address distribution challenges; and/or mitigate the financial risks associated with scaling up to meet new market demands. Grants ranging from 2k – 5k will be targeted towards:
- Infrastructure Development: on-farm capital improvements, equipment purchases
- Technology: accounting, tracking, and/or sales software, website, or app development
- Market Access and Development: innovative solutions to logistics and distribution challenges
Grants are distributed, through a competitive application review process, to agricultural producers, producer groups, and value-chain facilitators that are addressing market access in Vermont institutions, defined as colleges and universities, early childcare and pre-k-12 schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and correctional facilities, and wholesale market access, including grocery stores, independent retail, and food co-ops. All applicants must demonstrate 25% of the total grant award in matching funds.
Past LFMD grant recipients!
Bella Farm, LLC, Monkton
- Expansion of a washing and packing area to increase efficiency
Green Heron Farm, Richford
- Purchase of a root crop washer, precision seeder, and stainless steel table
Green Mountain Organic Creamery, Hinesburg
- Plans to expand their current cooler
Harvest Hill Farm, Hardwick
- Purchase of a used cooler to expand storage space
Intervale Center, Burlington
- Development of a student CSA program at UVM
Joe’s Brook Farm, St. Johnsbury
- Purchase of a small scale brush washer, to replace hand washing and scrubbing
Radical Roots Farm, Rutland
- Construction of a temperature and climate controlled storage cooler
The Tutorial Center, Bennington
- Purchase of a delivery van to increase the capacity for larger volumes of farm-to-institution food sales
Vermont Fresh Network, Richmond
- Coordination and development of a statewide matchmaker event