Animal Movement

The requirements pertaining to importation of livestock and poultry into Vermont from another state are addressed in Rule # 98074: Rules Governing the Importation of Domestic Animals, Including Livestock and Poultry.  Import Permits are required in advance of movement of all poultry and livestock species into Vermont except horses and may be obtained by calling the Animal Health Office at (802) 828-2421. Regarding exhibition permits for horses and livestock, Vermont's fair season is defined as May 1 through October 31. 

For information on transporting an animal from Vermont into another state, visit Interstate Livestock. This is an intereactive website and species are still being added (cattle and equine requirements are complete at this point). Therefore, it is strongly recommended that these requirements are confirmed by calling the agricultural agency of the individual state of destination. 

New Requirement - Intrastate Movement

During the 2017 legislative session, through Act 30, state lawmakers modernized Vermont laws that regulate livestock movement in the State. As with any new law or rule, the Vermont Agency of Agriculture (VAAFM) will spend considerable time educating and providing technical assistance to farmers and licensed dealers/transporters regarding these statutory updates, which became effective on July 1, 2017, prior to taking any enforcement action against violators of the new language. 

Act 30 requires all livestock being transported within the State to satisfy the requirements for official identification for interstate movement under the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal Disease Traceability rule, 9 C.F.R. part 86 prior to leaving the property of origin, regardless of the reason for movement or duration of absence from the property. Livestock include dairy and beef cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and camelids. Examples of livestock movement within the state that this requirement applies to include transport from the farm of origin to a slaughter facility, movement to a new farm location, and transport to a fair or exhibit. 

Metal ear tags (NUES tags) and 840 ear tags (AIN tags) are commonly used in Vermont by livestock owners. For many years, VAAFM has provided metal NUES tags at no charge to farmers, veterinarians, and livestock dealers. Please call the Animal Health Section at (802) 828-2421 to request tags. AIN 840 tags may be purchased from most ear tag distributors. Please follow this link for an educational handout illlustrating official livestock tags. 

VAAFM strongly encourages all livestock farmers, dealers, transporters, market personnel and other industry partners to review Act 30 and contact the VAAFM Animal Health Office with any questions. Animal Health staff will be working with impacted businesses and farms to ensure proper implementation of these new identification requirements for intrastate livestock movement. Staff can assist farmers with obtaining ear tags and answer questions about the requirements and official identification.