Services Available to Help Vermont Farm Families

MONTPELIER, Vt.- Farm First is lending a helping hand to Vermont farm owners and their families. Farm First provides free and confidential business and personal service for Vermonters working in agriculture. The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets has teamed up with the Agency of Human Services, INVEST Employee Assistance Program and UVM Extension to create Farm First to ensure that Vermont farm owners and family members living on the farm are provided with the same support and resources available to all Vermont workplaces.

What does Farm First offer?

Professional, confidential consulting and /or counseling and resources to help with ANY personal, family or farm management problem, such as

  • Family communication issues, marriage, kids, siblings
  • Challenges with managing hired help; communication issues, stress
  • Personal supportive counseling services for any issue: lack of sleep, depression, anxiety or persistent worry, grief or loss, substance abuse, parenting worries, caring for your elders….
  • Legal and financial stress
  • If you have an injury or a disability, our partner, VocRehab Vermont can assist you to get adaptations on your equipment, possible respite farm labor and other supports.
  • Business management concerns

Who is Eligible?

  • The owners and family members of Vermont farms or agricultural producers earning a minimum of $10,000 gross income from farming: dairy, maple, tree, grass, fruit or vegetable, beef, goat, equine, pork, poultry, honey, etc.
  • No sign up required, no copays, no forms.  All Vermont farm owners and their families have access to all Farm First services now 

How do I Contact Farm First?

  • Call 1-877-493-6216
  • Online at  you can link to the comprehensive content of our parent organization’s website, There you'll find useful information on many topics; health, legal, financial and six self-assessment tools for depression, anxiety, alcohol, anger, relationships, and gambling.

What Happens When I Call?

  • A Farm First counselor will speak with you to assess your needs, find out your location and how we can help you.  They will then give your information to the Farm First counselor in your area who will follow up with you to get you what you need to reduce your stress and take care of your concerns.

Farm First is YOUR HELPING HAND. It is FREE and Confidential and available 24/7.