SAVE THE DATE!
October 2, 2018: Release of the 2019 Farm to School Grant Request for Applications
See, below, for last year's RFA and other helpful materials.
The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets is proud to present the annual program report for the Vermont Farm to School & Childcare Grant Program, established with the passage of the 2006 Rozo McLaughlin Farm to School Act. Our program supports vibrant and resilient communities and contributes to multiple goals of the Vermont Farm to Plate Strategic Plan. Since its inception, with the support of many partners in the Vermont Farm to School Network, the program has invested more than $1 million in nearly 200 schools and childcare providers.
The 2018 Vermont Farm to School Grant Application Deadline was November 14, 2017.
1. Vermont Farm to School & Child Nutrition Grant: The VAAFM Farm to School Team is seeking applications from eligible Vermont-based childcare providers and schools to expand and improve food programs and/or to create or expand farm to school programs by integrating the classroom, cafeteria, and community (the 3 C’s of farm to school). Up to six applications will be awarded at $15,000 each, made possible by legislative appropriation and a financial investment of a dedicated partner. The anticipated grant period will be January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2019.
2. Vermont Farm to School Milk Cooler & Farm to Childcare Kitchen Equipment Grant: The VAAFM Farm to School Team is seeking applications from eligible Vermont-based childcare providers and schools (for k-12 schools, this is formerly known as the Vermont Milk Cooler Sponsorship program) to purchase equipment that will improve their food programs and/or farm to school/farm to childcare programs. Up to 23 grants will be awarded at $1,000 each to reimburse schools and childcare providers for these purchases. Equipment purchases must be made by February 28, 2018.
Vermont Farm to School Program Resources:
- Complete List of Grantees: 2007-2018
- Milton Case Study
- Sharon Case Study
- Using Food Hubs to Create Sustainable Farm to School Programs
- Vermont School Wellness Policy Guidelines
- Vermont Wellness Policy Implementation Tool
- Attachment C: Standard State Provisions for Grants & Contracts
- Vermont FEED Farm to School Rubric
- Three Step to Starting & Strengthening Your Vermont Farm to School Program
- Farm to Early Care: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Food System Career Profiles (Vermont Farm to Plate Network)
- 2018 VT Farm to School and Childcare Report
- 2018 VT Farm to School and Childcare 2-Pager
- Milk Service in Vermont Schools: Decision Making Criteria, Best Practices and Case Studies
- Milk in Vermont Schools: A Decision-Makers' Guide to Milk Service
- Economic Contribution and Potential Impact of Schools Purchase of Local Foods in Vermont
- Farm to School Economic Impact 2-Pager
- Yourth Risk Behavior Survey: Health Impact of VT Farm to School Grants
- School Health Profiles: Health Impact of VT Farm to School Grants
There are resources and organizations around the state that may be valuable resources For your farm to school program.
- Center for Agricultural Economy (greater Hardwick area)
- Food Connects (southern Vermont)
- Green Mountain Farm to School (Northeast Kingdom)
- Healthy Roots (Franklin and Grand Isle Counties Vermont)
- Marble Valley Meals (Rutland County)
- Northshire Grows (Bennington area)
- Rutland Area Farm and Food Link (greater Rutland area)
- Upper Valley Farm to School (Upper Valley region)
- Vermont Food Bank Gleaning (Chittenden and Windham)
- Vermont Gleaning Collective (Statewide)
- Hunger Free Vermont (Statewide)
- Vermont Community Garden Network (Statewide)
- Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Program (Statewide)
- Vermont FEED (Statewide)
- VT Recycles (Statewide)
- Nutrition & Physical Activity Guidance for Schools and Childcare (Statewide)
- Vermont Farm to School Network Listserv (Statewide)
- Vermont Farm to School Coordinator Newsletter (Statewide)
- New England Dairy Farm to School (Northeast Region)
- National Farm to School Network (National)
- USDA Farm to School (National)
Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets Farm to School Contacts:
If you have any questions about the Planning or Implementation Grants or have general Farm to School Grant Program questions, please email Ali Zipparo at Alexandra.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-505-1822
If you have any questions about the Universal Meals Grant Program, please email Jennie Porter at email@example.com or call 802-661-8201