By Marc Paquette, Agency of Agriculture
The Consumer Protection Section of the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets will be hosting multiple scale inspection events around the state during April for anyone who uses scale(s) at farmers’ markets to sell produce or other commodities. This testing is required by law, and the Agency would like to encourage producers to take advantage of these testing dates. This allows the Agency to perform inspections in a more efficient manner, and in a way that creates less disruption for you and the farmers’ markets.
Please plan to attend one of the inspection events listed below. Bring your legal for trade scale, and any accessories that you use with it for weighing items for sale.
The following is a list of dates and locations for the testing. Most sites will be at Agency of Transportation (AOT) garage sites. Hours for each location will be 9:00am – 3:00pm. You can come anytime during our open hours, and no advance appointment is necessary. The test should take around 10 minutes per scale.
- 3-April - Weights & Measures Lab - 322 Industrial Lane, Berlin
- 3-April - AOT – Dummerston - 870 US Route 5, Dummerston
- 4-April - AOT - Chimney Corners Brentwood Drive, Colchester
- 4-April - AOT - Bennington - 359 Bowen Road, Bennington
- 5-April - AOT - Derby - 4611 Route 5, Derby
- 5-April - AOT - Windsor - 1640 US Route 5 North, Windsor
- 6-April - AOT - St. Johnsbury - 1098 US Route 5, St. Johnsbury
- 9-April - AOT - Bradford - 57 Fairgrounds Road, Bradford
- 11-April - AOT - Randolph - 100 Bettis Road, Randolph
- 17-April - Weights & Measures Lab - 322 Industrial Lane, Berlin
- 23-April - AOT - Clarendon - 1628 Route 7B, Clarendon
- 24-April - AOT - Morrisville - 634 Brooklyn Street, Morrisville
- 26-April - AOT - Middlebury - 341 Creek Road, Middlebury
Look for the scale checking signs.
If you have any questions call the Consumer Protection office at: 802-828-2426