The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets partners with Vermont veterinarians on various projects and initiatives, including emergency preparedness, disease testing and prevention, accreditation, and educational loan repayments.
To obtain an import permit, information pertaining to animal health-related issues in Vermont, or information pertaining to any program administered by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture's Animal Health Section, contact the Vermont Agency of Agriculture.
Ordering Tuberculin for Caudal Fold Testing
Veterinarians are now required to order PPD for tuberculosis testing from the National Veterinary Services Lab in Ames, IA. This will allow the NVSL Brucella and Mycobacteria REagent Team staff to better evaluate the quantity of tuberculin PPD required and possible vial volume best suited for scheduled testing. To order PPD, please fill the following two forms: the VS 9-4 and the supplemental ordering form.
Veterinarians should allow 10 days to process an order and should be aware that the lab does not ship orders on Fridays. No users fees are required for cattle testing, including cattle being exported.
Please contact the regional USDA office located in Sutton, MA, at (508) 363-2290 with any questions.
Options for obtaining CVIs and Coggins forms
- Utilize the free electronic certificates (eCVIs) - call the animal health office at (802)828-2421 to schedule a tutorial
- Order from the State of Vermont Corrections printing center by calling (802)334-8997 - approximately $0.12 per copy
- Utilize companies such as Global Vet Link
- Utilize companies such as Larch Hill or Global Vet Link
- Order from the State of Vermont Corrections printing center by calling (802)334-8997 - approximately $0.17 per copy
- Order free of charge from USDA by calling (508)363-2290.
Information about rabies in Vermont
- Wildlife guidance for veterinarians
To obtain instructions for rabies sample submission from a Vermont animal, contact:
Dr. Bob Johnson
State Public Health Veterinarian
(800)640-4374 (VT only) or (802)863-7240
Information about requirements for exporting a livestock species or companion animals internationally
- USDA Letter
USDA-APHIS-VS, National Import Export Services (NIES), District 1 Service Center
500 New Karner Rd, 2nd Floor, Albany, NY 12205
518 218 7540 phone| 518 218 7545 facsimile
Information about requirements for exporting companion animals and livestock to another state
Other information of interest to veterinarians and veterinary technicians
- Links to state and federal websites
- Vermont Importation Requirements
- State Animal Health Officials Directory
- Cyanobacteria fact sheet